Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Voodoo & Linux 'OpenGL' 3D Graphics

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Voodoo & Linux 'OpenGL' 3D Graphics
From: Anne McCadden <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:29:19 -0600

Video cards, DVD players and other computer equipment has changed a lot
in the last 2 years.  There are several video cards that have their own
fan, but most of the fans get very noisy and wear out within a year and
then the chip has no cooling what so ever.  Most of the good video card
have an elaborate convoluted heat sink that disapate the heat well and
some have a fan on top of the heat sink, simular to cpu setups, but on a
smaller scale.  It isn't necessary to have DVD hardware decoding in the
video any longer, DVD drives which cost about $10-20 more than a regular
CD-ROM, don't use the hardware decoding, but maybe by software.  Do they
run on linux?  I don't know, that is about the only use that I have for
the windoze machine any more, to play DVD movies and some of the windoze
games, just for play and not to be taken seriously.  The real work is
done by the 5 linux machines in my forever messy office.  ttyl ironrose