Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2001:
[aclug-L] Voodoo & Linux 'OpenGL' 3D Graphics

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Voodoo & Linux 'OpenGL' 3D Graphics
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 01:31:28 -0600

Trying to find an 'OpenGL' 3D Graphics card for my Linux box, I ended up
purchasing (well really being given!) a:;
    STB Blackmagic 3D PCI 12MB
Which is a Voodoo-2 based 3Dfx add on card.

Now that I have found out the make and model of the card.. I find out that
the BETA 3Dfx Linux drivers are no more and I do not understand all that is
needed to install the correct drivers from the web site :
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/drivers/graphics.php?op=showcontent&id=3 : onto
my Mandrake 8.1 install.... Right now Mandrake's installer "HarDrake"
installed BANSHEE drivers, which from what I have read do not drive the card
correctly....

Unless somebody here knows of a better driver for the Voodoo2 based 3D card
for Linux and 'OpenGL'.

Can anybody here para-phrase the instructions into a way that a Windows user
could understand?

David E. Carmichael
Southwestern Bell Internet:
Mailto: dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://home.swbell.net/dec2955/index.html
Southwestern Bell Telephone
Local Voice: (316) 524-0246 // Local Fax : (316) 524-9731