Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:26:18 -0600

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:58:50PM -0600, Patrick Klee wrote:

> I guess we will never agree on which text editor is the best, just like
> we can't decide whether to have mashed or au graten potatoes for
> thanksgiving.  Either situation, I would say both.

Yams!

Seriously, I know the basics of VIM and am now learning the basics of
Emacs so I can use the Gnus news reader as I am sick of trying to
read news via Netscape or Dejanews.

My favorite editor of the past few years has been FTE.  While the
latest development snapshot is quite stable, it hasn't received much
attention from the author during the past couple of years.  It is, IMHO,
the easiest editor for a new Linux user moving from DOS/Win.  It features
syntax highlighting and editor buffers and a bunch of other stuff I've
yet to figure out.

As I am just now seriously studying Emacs, I find the action of the
<Delete> key to be annoying.  I would like <Delete> to perform the
action of Ctl-d as <Back-sp> and <Delete> are performing the same
function right now.

> P.S. Don't beat me up too bad.  And if this turns into a flame war, I am
> sorry, I was just wondering why certain people liked one or the other.
> I am still a newbie to Linux, so I guess text-editing is necessary for
> everyday tasks, especially programming.

No flame, but I think that while GUI editors may be most comfortable for
those migrating from GUI environments, I've found the character based
editors to be the most powerful.  For example VIM and Emacs allow the
user to do things unheard of in a Notepad clone.  In fact they beat the
socks off of traditional word processors, IMO.

Okay, off the soapbox!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good