Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:05:20 -0600

Steven Saner wrote:

> Hey, do you know how to make emacs work with the number keypad if you
> have NumLock turned on. The keypad works fine with vi or other things,
> but in emacs I just get beeps. BTW, I am running emacs in terminal
> mode.

Not offhand. It looks to me like if you're running emacs in a plain
console (not X) NumLock works as expected. Similarly, running in X
mode gives expected results. Only running emacs in terminal mode in
a terminal emulator is screwing up -- so I guess the workaround is
don't do that.

I see two distinct sets of escape sequences depending on NumLock,
but very strangely I see differences between xterm and zvt, which
sort of suggests problems in terminal emulators and/or terminfo.
I'm also seeing some evidence of emacs mapping commands to raw keys
regardless of NumLock state. (You can use ^Q to quote the next
character code, but raw key events escape quoting.) Very fishy.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/