Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:00:03 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> As I am just now seriously studying Emacs, I find the action of the
> <Delete> key to be annoying.  I would like <Delete> to perform the
> action of Ctl-d as <Back-sp> and <Delete> are performing the same
> function right now.

Ah, but this is Emacs.  If you don't like it, it can be changed.  The
problem is figuring out how to change it.

define-key and global-set-key are two different ways of mapping keys.
I'm not really sure why you use one over the other... this is a snippet of
config file code I stole when I was first learning Emacs and I still don't
know exactly what it's all for.  The BS key is ^h across a telnet session,
and ^h is "help" in Emacs... so this maps "help" to a different key (^^)
and remaps ^h to actually delete backwards.  I don't know why
global-set-key is used to set meta-h, but define-key is used to set
ctrl-h.  Maybe you can figure out what you want from here.  (Real soon now
I'm going to relearn Lisp.)

; set up to use ^h (BS key) as backspace
(global-set-key  "\C-^" 'help-command)
(setq help-char ?\C-^)
(define-key global-map "\C-h" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
(global-set-key  "\eh"  'backward-kill-word)
(defconst search-delete-char ?\C-h)

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Why get even, when you can get odd?