Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Regarding the meeting for 11/20/00
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:38:51 -0600

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:32:36PM -0600, Jesse Kaufman wrote:
> > No flame, but I think that while GUI editors may be most comfortable for
> > those migrating from GUI environments, I've found the character based
> > editors to be the most powerful.  For example VIM and Emacs allow the
> > user to do things unheard of in a Notepad clone.  In fact they beat the
> > socks off of traditional word processors, IMO.
>
> when i first moved to linux from windows, i felt i *had* to have a gui
> notepad replacement...  the best i've found (tho' it has gotten a bit
> bloated imho since i started using it) was gnotepad+ ... very feature
> full, but quick and easy to learn...  now, it's got all sorts of html
> stuff in there, which tho' kewl, is more than i want now...

One editor that I used to use on Linux that is as easy to use as
notepad, but has a number of very good features for programming and
the like, was NEdit. I have no idea what a current version looks like
(or if it is still being developed). It reminded me a lot of PFE,
which is what I used in Windows before I started doing everything on
Linux. Now I use emacs and xemacs for programming and vi for editing
config files and any quick little editing that I need to do.

It is very good to learn the basics of vi, and ed too, even if you
don't use them on a regular basis. If you are a Unix person you will
inevitably find yourself in a situation where the only editor on the
system is vi, or even only ed.

Steve