Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:45:17 -0600

> The ONLY header on a spam that you can really trust is the "Received:"
> header that your own system adds to the message. This is sufficient to
> identify the system that delivered the message to you, and is where
> you should focus your energy. By replying to every site that appears
> in every header (as many people do), you effectively punish victim
> sites who were framed to make it appear that they are harboring
> spammers, or allowing spam to be relayed.
> </RANT>

All this talk is not exactly true, as this is a mailing list and so the
mailing list would deliver to your system, and roach is not sending
spam. Couldn't you follow the trust as in this example.

hackboy.com is my isp (for this example) and acm.org is my forwarding
address

        by pi.glockenspiel.complete.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id
EBDD63B8EF
        for <aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:57:01 -0600
(CST)

assuming we can trust complete.org and acm.org and hackboy.com to not
fake email headers, this spam was sent from tisi.go.th (unknown
[203.154.78.1]). So know what would/should we do?

--
Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC

"I used to eat there. Really good noodles. I have these memories from my
life. None of them happened. What does that mean? Trinity: That the
Matrix
cannot tell you who you are."

"And an Oracle can?"
"That's different."