Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:26:14 -0600

Well, I recommed that you be very careful about this. Most spam does
not have a valid email address on it that actually belongs to the
person that sent the spam. If you do this, you likely will be sending
your retaliation to someone that does not deserve it.

The following is for your information and for anyone else that might
be reading this. I in no way imply that you do not know these things...

<RANT>
I can tell you as an administrator of an ISP, the only thing worse
than spam are people complaining about spam that don't have a clue
what they are doing. My collegues and I respond to at least 50 bogus
spam complaints for every 1 that actually came from a customer of
ours.

The ONLY header on a spam that you can really trust is the "Received:"
header that your own system adds to the message. This is sufficient to
identify the system that delivered the message to you, and is where
you should focus your energy. By replying to every site that appears
in every header (as many people do), you effectively punish victim
sites who were framed to make it appear that they are harboring
spammers, or allowing spam to be relayed.
</RANT>