Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:08:53 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, james l wrote:

> I am thinking about sending the following message to the next
> spam I get, and then following the policy, comments?
>
> James L
>
> I recieved spam from you. If I recieve another, I will take
> actions which

I find it easier to set up procmail filters that dump spammish
stuff off into a separate folder. BTW, if you do decide to
send out your message, it's spelled "received". :) I've seen a few
other people try retaliatory methods, and seen even more people
disrecommend those methods. Since about the most permanent action
you can take is legal action, unless you're willing to spend that
kind of energy to track down a throwaway account...

Since we're talking about it, if you decide to set up a procmail
filter, one very effective technique is to use a "white
list". AFTER setting up recipes for all of your mailing lists, you
include a list of people that you know and allow them to send you
email. Everything else gets dumped to (a separate folder XOR
/dev/null). With this method, you just have to be careful when
your grandparents surprise you with an email account :)

-jeff
--
I find television very educational. Every time someone turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book.  --Groucho Marx