Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Reverse the Aging Process 10-20 Years!
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:15:49 -0600 (EST)

it would be fun, but i agree, it could cause problems w/ your
'relationship' w/ your isp...

i've found a great recipe for minimizing spam:

1 part junkfilter (search on freshmeat)
1 part procmail

Setup junk filter to get most of the obvious spam, then setup procmail to
filter all good e-mail into your mail folders or wherever you'd like them.
For the last recipe in your procmailrc, filter out everything that isn't
specifically To:, Cc:, Bcc: any of your accounts that end up going thru
this procmail, and *presto* very little spam.  Granted, don't filter all
"bad" e-mail to /dev/null right away...  it takes a few weeks of testing
to make sure it's right, then bon apetite... i mean enjoy your 99% spam
free mailbox!

another fun thing to do is to test the mail servers the mail actually came
from w/ the ORBS list, and see what you come up w/! : ^ )

abuse@<domain> often works (however, I had to send about 400 e-mails to
abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx before they finally killed the account of the guy
sending spam as MY address!), but I've also found numerous servers that
don't even have an abuse address...

anyway, just my $0.02 ...  didn't even see the spam until i checked my
junk folder after the replies came! : ^ )

--
Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net

<<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
    even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>