Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Why Debian?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Why Debian?
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:06:37 -0500

While Redhat seems to be more bleeding edge, and generally seems to be more
up-to-date (from what I undestand), Debian tests and retests before
offering a new release. I just read today (on Slashdot) that a default
installation of the newest release of Redhat (7) will crash after about
three weeks because it leaks file descriptors, and eventually uses up the
hard disk. Redhat is providing a fix, but because Debian tests so much for
so long, that's something I seriously doubt would EVER happen with Debian.
That article only provides a story, not a well-written argument for or
against Redhat, but I think items like that are important to point out to
people making that decision.

Good luck,
John