Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Why Debian?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Why Debian?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:36:23 -0500 (CDT)

I work for Boeing, who have been rather slow to adopt Linux in any offical
way, and rather annoyed at any unofficial uses.  The central lan group
(NT) is having trouble load-testing their new NT servers with NT and are
wanting to try a Linux solution.

Problem is, they've chosen Red Hat because it has the most
name-recognition and it's easy to install.  I've always run Debian because
it's supposedly the most stable and all.  I've not had a lick of trouble
with it (except for apt uninstalling telnet during the upgrade from 2.0 to
2.1).  The thing is, the NT guys don't know much about Linux (at least the
ones using it that I'm working with) and they're going to come to me (HP
Unix admin) for help.  *And* I could have a strong influence on Boeing
Wichita's choice of distro.  I've heard that Red Hat is generally buggy
and I know that Debian has well-established and well-run stable-release
process.

My question is: Can anyone point me to well-written arguments for or
against particular distros in a Unix-savvy, availability-critical
environment?  My personal experience points to Debian, but I'd like to
have some more info to back it up.

Thanks!

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
I've got a chainsaw... what could go wrong?