Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2000:
[aclug-L] Lessons learned about partion tables, Was(How to restore a par

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Lessons learned about partion tables, Was(How to restore a partition table)
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:29:07 -0500

YES!

I got it back. (the partion table, and data) and sorry if the XF4 presentation
was rather bad.

Lessons learned
Lesson #1 write down the partion table, now!
Lesson #2 failing #1 causes headaches.
Lesson #3 remember the exact size of the partions.

What I did was went into cfdisk and created them as the sizes they were
supposed to be, and low and behold, it worked!

I STRONGLY suggest that you RIGHT NOW go to a terminal and get the partion
table written down on disk, and write down the program you used to create it,
and the size (in whatever units that program uses) of the partions.

James L.

PS what is a command to dump the first couple of sectors (or the partion
table) to a file, and to restore it.