Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:41:41 -0500

Running the single copy on multiple remote X displays should be legal--if
you have enough licenses for that.  The WP8 license takes that into
account--I'm sure the WP2k license does, too.

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 07:29:41PM -0500, James wrote:
> Well I got it, and it works on the laptop (VERY slow to load, but managable
> after
> that) One nice thing is that you can install it on more than one computer as
> long
> as you don't load it into ram at the same time,.(hmm... does a remote X app
> count?
> :)
>
> It was planned to be a native linux port, but they were going to run the
> windows
> source code with the winelibs, but they did not finish the winelibs in time
> for
> their scheduled release date. So they took a later windows version and
> modified it
> to work with the wine they distribute with Office. And it can be modified to
> run
> other windows programs under Linux.
>
> See below for a soultion to Greg's problem
>
> James
>
> John Phillips wrote:
>
> > Isn't WP2000 for Linux a native Linux aplication ? Wine is for Windoze
> > aplications running under Linux.
> > John Phillips

> REALLY wierd/easy/stupid thing.
> Corel does not mount cds with the -o exec option. (RedHat does though)
> so from corel:
> mount -o exec /mnt/cdrom1/
>

> > > That doesn't surprise me too much, despite having spent several hours
> > > reading and trying things with Wine, I've never actually gotten it to do
> > > anything very useful. On one system, it would play Freecell. Woopee... I
> > > have
> > > yet to get it to run any program I really needed, the things I have to
> > > keep Windows around for...childrens educational software, Quicken, simple
> > > Bible study software. Not that Wine _won't_ do it, I don't know. I've
> > > never
> > > really understood how to set up the winerc file properly...
> > >
> > > Maybe a good ACLUG meeting topic? (Have we had that one already?)
> > >
> > > Greg

> > > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Tech Support: "Ok, in the lower left-hand corner of File Manager, what does
it have for 'Free'?"
Customer: "10,578 kegabytes."