Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?
From: James <pantherace13@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:29:41 -0500

Well I got it, and it works on the laptop (VERY slow to load, but managable
after
that) One nice thing is that you can install it on more than one computer as
long
as you don't load it into ram at the same time,.(hmm... does a remote X app
count?
:)

It was planned to be a native linux port, but they were going to run the windows
source code with the winelibs, but they did not finish the winelibs in time for
their scheduled release date. So they took a later windows version and modified
it
to work with the wine they distribute with Office. And it can be modified to run
other windows programs under Linux.

See below for a soultion to Greg's problem

James

John Phillips wrote:

> Isn't WP2000 for Linux a native Linux aplication ? Wine is for Windoze
> aplications running under Linux.
> John Phillips
>
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Greg House wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > > For what its worth, I got the WP2000 for linux that included a copy of
> > > Corel's linux distro.  I then blew away a perfectly functional Redhat
> > > system
> > > to install corel's linux.  When I try to run WP2000 on Corel Linux, wine
> > > hangs.  I've tried tweaking both the linux distro and wp2000, and I've
> > > tried
> > > reinstalling both, but I could never get wine to function properly.  I was
> > > so disgusted that I haven't tried to install it on anything else.  I now
> > > have a new appreciation for Debian's insistance on fixing all "release
> > > critical" bugs.  On the other hand, I'm getting tired of waiting for
> > > potato
> > > to go stable (get to work, John!!!).  Can't have it both ways, I guess.

REALLY wierd/easy/stupid thing.
Corel does not mount cds with the -o exec option. (RedHat does though)
so from corel:
mount -o exec /mnt/cdrom1/