Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Corel's Office Suite will it work?
From: Jeremy King <jmking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:26:19 -0500

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, James wrote:

> See below for a soultion to Greg's problem
>
> REALLY wierd/easy/stupid thing.
> Corel does not mount cds with the -o exec option. (RedHat does though)
> so from corel:
> mount -o exec /mnt/cdrom1/

I'm not sure what problem the above will solve, but it aint the problem I
described.  In a nutshell, the install went just fine.  But when I ran any one
of the WPO2000 apps, I got a little bit of disk activity followed by nothing.
The system didn't crash, but the app refused to launch.  When I ran 'top'
(actually, KDE's graphical equivalent) it showed that the wineserver process
had a status of "zombie".  So, I'm guessing that the wine system that came with
the office suite doesn't like something about Corel's Linux distribution.
That's the kind of behaviour that we've all come to expect from software coming
out of Redmond--and its the kind of thing that could give linux a bad name
among the newbies who are lured in by Corel's brand name.  (Which some
on this list would argue is immaterial, since linux isn't meant for them
anyway).  I'll just have to go back to waiting for potato.  If mozilla could
finally release a beta quality browser, I suppose that Debian will be able to
finish potato, eventually...  I have to keep reminding myself of that story
about the turtle and the hare, every time I think about Debian.  At least it's
worth the wait.

Jeremy

 --
Yet Another Tagline...