Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:55:45 -0600

I've never heard any body complain about Fujitsu...

I have heard people complain about Maxtor and WD.  Maybe Fujitsu would be
the safer option?  They aren't much more expensive, and sometimes (depending
on the size) have been cheaper than WD or Maxtor in my experience.

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 12:00:10PM -0600, Brian Chapman wrote:
> At 3/1/00 09:54 AM , Dale W Hodge wrote:
> >
> > I keep hearing this, but I've had good luck with Maxtor & Quantum, and
> > nothing but poor luck with WD. Seagate/Conner drives have been so-so.
> > (Yes, they are made by the same company - have been for the last few
> > years).  I think it's a coin toss.  I figure you might see more Maxtor
> > failures because they are the probably the most installed drive these
> > days. Just the law of averages kicking in.
>
> Yeah, I've had excellent experiences with Maxtor (*fingers crossed, knock
> on wood*). I used to work with Western Digital at a local comptuer store
> chain as a PC technician, and I wouldn't take one if it was given to me,
> but that's just been my experience I suppose. Although, We used to even
> have a name for a common problem to WD drives that we named the "Western
> Digital Klunk", based on a sound it would make.
>
> Anyway, you can get a 20 Gig Maxtor for less than $200 now.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell,
Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.