Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:43:38 -0600

I know about AccuByte... They sold me a CPU that didn't work, then
"replaced" it with another CPU that had the exact same problem (I'm sure
they sent me the exact same defective CPU).  Took me more than a year to get
the money from them by going throught my credit card company.

You decide... :-)

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 01:45:03AM -0600, gLaNDix wrote:
> well, i'll probably just start from scratch, because i know i've got a lot
> of crap laying around on it anyway...  burning a  copy of my /etc and
> /Mp3z dir right now...  my /home dir is on a completely different drive,
> so it's safe (for now...)
>
> looking on pricewatch, i found a WD 20.4GB for $159 from a place called
> AccuByte...  anyone know anything about AccuByte?  they reliable?
>
> the drive info is:
> Model: AC420400
> 20.4GB 9.5ms Access time; Ultra DMA
>
> sound good?
>
> hopefully in the next 2 wks, we'll be able to afford this...  sux to come
> right at the time of moving, but oh well... it's also tax return time
> soon... : ^ )
>
> l8r,
> jesse
>
> <<<Linux lloydix 2.2.14 #1 Sat Jan 22 04:29:13 CST 2000 i586 unknown>>>
>
> Marge:        Homer, you're his father.  You've got to reason with him.
>
> Homer:        Oh, that never works.  He's a goner!
>
>                  Bart the Daredevil
>
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:
>
> > > is it possible when i get my new drive (whenever that may be) to copy
> > > everything on this drive to that, or would i be better off just starting
> > > from scratch?  i've worked 2 years on getting this system just the way i
> > > like it, and now the hdd crashes...
> >
> > Well, it should be possible, yes.  It might be simpler to start from
> > scratch, especially if you have drive errors--some files may be corrupted,
> > etc.  But it's up to you.
> >
> > At the very least, backup your /etc and /home probably.  /etc contaions
> > 99.8% of the specific configurations on most systems.  You might also back
> > up certian directories in /var (/var/spool/mail if you run a mail server,
> > etc)
> >
> > What I usually do when I go to a new HD is copy all the old data to a "safe
> > place" then start from scratch.  That way I can refer to the old data, and
> > even cut-n-past relevant configurations... or copy the entire config
> > files/sections as desired.
> >
> > If you decide you want to try copying everything over as-is, I sent a mail
> > about a week or two ago in response to a question about changing HDs that
> > describes what, IMO, is the simplest way to make the transition from one
> > drive to another.  If you can't find that or if that won't work for you, let
> > me know, and I'll tell you how I'd suggest migrating to a new drive without
> > losing data.
> >

> > --
> > Useless fact #8: Wyoming has the highest number of electoral votes per
> > capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 160,014 people,
> > compared to the national average of 497,664 people per electoral.
> > --

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better
than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management
professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight
delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)