Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!
From: Brian Chapman <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 12:00:10 -0600

At 3/1/00 09:54 AM , Dale W Hodge wrote:

> I keep hearing this, but I've had good luck with Maxtor & Quantum, and
> nothing but poor luck with WD. Seagate/Conner drives have been so-so.
> (Yes, they are made by the same company - have been for the last few
> years).  I think it's a coin toss.  I figure you might see more Maxtor
> failures because they are the probably the most installed drive these
> days. Just the law of averages kicking in.

Yeah, I've had excellent experiences with Maxtor (*fingers crossed, knock
on wood*). I used to work with Western Digital at a local comptuer store
chain as a PC technician, and I wouldn't take one if it was given to me,
but that's just been my experience I suppose. Although, We used to even
have a name for a common problem to WD drives that we named the "Western
Digital Klunk", based on a sound it would make.

Anyway, you can get a 20 Gig Maxtor for less than $200 now.