Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: UHOH!!!!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:26:12 -0600

> is it possible when i get my new drive (whenever that may be) to copy
> everything on this drive to that, or would i be better off just starting
> from scratch?  i've worked 2 years on getting this system just the way i
> like it, and now the hdd crashes...

Well, it should be possible, yes.  It might be simpler to start from
scratch, especially if you have drive errors--some files may be corrupted,
etc.  But it's up to you.

At the very least, backup your /etc and /home probably.  /etc contaions
99.8% of the specific configurations on most systems.  You might also back
up certian directories in /var (/var/spool/mail if you run a mail server,
etc)

What I usually do when I go to a new HD is copy all the old data to a "safe
place" then start from scratch.  That way I can refer to the old data, and
even cut-n-past relevant configurations... or copy the entire config
files/sections as desired.

If you decide you want to try copying everything over as-is, I sent a mail
about a week or two ago in response to a question about changing HDs that
describes what, IMO, is the simplest way to make the transition from one
drive to another.  If you can't find that or if that won't work for you, let
me know, and I'll tell you how I'd suggest migrating to a new drive without
losing data.

--
Useless fact #8: Wyoming has the highest number of electoral votes per
capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 160,014 people,