Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] emacs problem

To: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] emacs problem
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:55:58 -0600

Okay (x)emacs gurus, I have a problem for you. I am running a
Slackware 4.0 system with Linux 2.2.6. This is not a new install. The
system has been working fine for months. I have not changed anything
with the kernel or any other major configuration changes. Yesterday I
used xemacs with no problems at all. Now it will not run as a normal
user. As root it runs fine, but as a normal user it doesn't do
anything at all. It starts a process, and the only way I can stop the
process is to kill it. An interesting thing is that exact same thing
happens with GNU emacs. It isn't just xemacs. Everything else is
working fine as best I can tell.  My first thought is that something
has changed with permissions someplace, but nothing seems out of the
ordinary and I don't get any error messages.  I have rebooted. I have
looked for lock files and temporary files. I don't believe that xemacs
was exited abnormally last time I used it. The machine did not reboot
abnormally or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963