Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: emacs problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: emacs problem
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:46:41 -0600

Well, first of all, thanks for the suggestions, they did help. I ran
strace and found that both emacs and xemacs where trying to do a DNS
lookup but couldn't because I wasn't connected and I have my DNS
addresses set to the ISP (southwind) DNS server. Now it makes sense
that this would cause the problem just now because I have made some
networking changes recently. My questions, however are:

1. Why is emacs trying to do host name lookups on startup. There isn't
anything in my .emacs files that would require this.

2. Why when it can't successfully look up the host, doesn't it just
give up and go on?

I realize those questions may be better sent to an emacs list, and I
might do that, but just in case someone knows...

Thanks again for the suggestions.

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 09:19:04AM -0600, Jeff wrote:
> > Okay (x)emacs gurus, I have a problem for you. I am running a
>
> Ok, I'm not qualified to answer this :) but I would look into strace
> like Jonathan suggested. Look into the -f flag if nothing comes up in
> the main (x)emacs process (if it is indeed spawning off a child
> process that's hanging).
>
> A random suggestion to check -- the DISPLAY or TERM variables haven't
> gotten munged, have they?
>
> -jeff
> --
> Churchill's Commentary on Man:  Man will occasionally stumble over the
> truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963