Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: router for Windows LAN

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: router for Windows LAN
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:55:26 -0600

> > If 24/7 really isn't an option, diald is okay, but it'd be
> easier just to
> > use pppd's "persist" and "demand" features (man pppd for details).
>
> ok, didn't know which would be better / easier....

Setting up PPP to demand dial is easier, but diald can better filter
what traffic brings up the link.  Diald also supports a command fifo
which you can use to forceably control the link.

> my problem is this:  i do not know how they are connected to the
> network...  they may be just connected via an ethernet connection (this
> possible?), or they may be connected directly to the existing *NIX
> server...  if it's the 2nd option, i'm kinda screwed (i think) because
> that box is untouchable (bastard propriority crap!)...  BUT we are
> thinking of getting a box so that i can hook up one of the printers to
> BOTH the existing connection and the nearest Win box's lpr port...
> then, i could just use the windows networking to get the printing part
> setup w/o the need for the linux box to do anything ...
>
> > If you have previous Samba experience, it may go fairly smoothly.
>
> "may" is the operative word!  : ^ )

Samba is not that hard to set up.  Remote network printers can be a
bit tricky, though.  It took me a week to figure out how to make my
network print servers work with Linux/magicfilter.  The HOW-TO was
useless and the manual cryptic.

> ok, dumb question, but as far as the internet part goes...  what the
> hell am i doing???  is it a router?  gateway?  proxy?  big paper
> weight?  i'm getting thrown in a little deeper than i expected, but i'm
> fighting to keep my head above water, because this client would really
> help my future career in computers (plus the experience is GREAT!!!)...
>  and the paycheck never hurts!

I think it's best called a masquerading router.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --
        -= Visit the Aclug Companion http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-