Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: router for Windows LAN

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: router for Windows LAN
From: glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 01:55:19 -0600 (CST)

On  7 Jan, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> Linux on a 486 with 8mb RAM, and an 80mb or larger HD running Debian will do
> the trick perfectly.

i'm sure the computer meets those needs...  except i'll have to use Red
Hat 5.1 instead, because that's the latest version i have, and i don't
want to have to waste their online time (if it's not unlimited)
installing debian via inet...

> One question:  Why not a 24/7 connection?  It's a lot easier to configure,
> and they should have a phone line dedicated to the computer anyway, so
> what's the harm?

that's what i asked, but they don't see a need for it, since they only
access the internet once or twice to download the latest PS documents
the main company posts (i'm setting this up for a local Ford dealership
that needs access to Fords online documents, etc)...  they have a
number of phone lines, but when they use inet, it decreases that by one
(they are all intertwined, so that if someone calls, and line 1 is
busy, line 2 picks up, etc... don't ask me for sure, i'm a computer
geek, not a phone guy... : ^ )

> If 24/7 really isn't an option, diald is okay, but it'd be easier just to
> use pppd's "persist" and "demand" features (man pppd for details).

ok, didn't know which would be better / easier....

> For someone who has experience with pppd, and networking (myself, for
> instance), setting up that sort of PPP network would take about 10 minutes
> (not counting Debian install time).  If you've not done it before, maybe an
> hour or two, counting the time it takes to read the docs.  :-)

hopefully, my experience won't take the full time, but i SINCERELY
doubt i could do it in 10!  : ^ )  not QUITE as experienced as you! : ^
)  (BUT LEARNING!)

> As for the print server question... that should be trivial as well.  Figure
> on another 2-3 hours for setting that up server-side, with no experience
> doing it before.  Now... sharing it with Windows will be a bit trickier, as
> that involves Samba... on a good day, setting up Samba for the first time
> will take 2 hours.  On a bad day, it may take a week, in my experience.  :-)

my problem is this:  i do not know how they are connected to the
network...  they may be just connected via an ethernet connection (this
possible?), or they may be connected directly to the existing *NIX
server...  if it's the 2nd option, i'm kinda screwed (i think) because
that box is untouchable (bastard propriority crap!)...  BUT we are
thinking of getting a box so that i can hook up one of the printers to
BOTH the existing connection and the nearest Win box's lpr port...
then, i could just use the windows networking to get the printing part
setup w/o the need for the linux box to do anything ...

> If you have previous Samba experience, it may go fairly smoothly.

"may" is the operative word!  : ^ )

ok, dumb question, but as far as the internet part goes...  what the
hell am i doing???  is it a router?  gateway?  proxy?  big paper
weight?  i'm getting thrown in a little deeper than i expected, but i'm
fighting to keep my head above water, because this client would really
help my future career in computers (plus the experience is GREAT!!!)...
 and the paycheck never hurts!

thanks for your info!!!!!

jesse

--
<<<Linux lloydix 2.2.13 #8 Wed Dec 22 02:31:05 CST 1999 i586 unknown>>>

Losers!  Losers!  Kiss my big Springfield behind, Shelbyville!

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Homer Loves Flanders