Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:35:19 -0600

> Something I mentioned once at an after-meeting ACLUG meeting, and we
> discussed it for a short while, was the possibility of ACLUG
> buying a "fast"
> connection to the Internet (128k ISDN probably) and putting up a
> server, and
> allowing ACLUG members, for the cost of operations, to host their own web
> sites, have shell access, etc, etc... possibly even allow for 33.6k (56k
> maybe, but it's much more expensive for small-scale) dialup.  Sort of an
> ACLUG Coop ISP.

While an interesting idea, I'm not sure of the practicality of it.  Web
hosting & shell access is easy, as well as virtual mail domains.  However,
I'm not sure how well mailing lists would work with virtual domains, if it
is even possible.  Dial-in access gets costly in a hurry. I'd be inclined to
offer only a single dial-in number for remote administative access.

> I'm sure there are others in the group who would like cheap (at-cost) web
> hosting, shell access, mailing list management, etc, etc.  Perhaps if we
> drummed up enough interest, we could get something going, and then offer a
> sort of co-location service to customers who help pay for the cost of
> operation?

Co-location wouldn't be bad if we had a block of addresses.  Otherwise,
we're limited to what can be accomplished with virtual hosts. Another idea
we might look into is providing dynamic dns services for members, including
MX backup.  But we have to be careful here, because it's ACLUG that gets
into trouble if someone does something foolish.

I'd like to see some feedback on this, and if there's interest, we can
discuss this at our next regular meeting.

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --
        -= Visit the Aclug Companion http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org =-