Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:37:08 -0600

Once SouthWind supports DSL, I'm sure dedicated access will be available
through them... although I don't know what the cost will be.

Something I mentioned once at an after-meeting ACLUG meeting, and we
discussed it for a short while, was the possibility of ACLUG buying a "fast"
connection to the Internet (128k ISDN probably) and putting up a server, and
allowing ACLUG members, for the cost of operations, to host their own web
sites, have shell access, etc, etc... possibly even allow for 33.6k (56k
maybe, but it's much more expensive for small-scale) dialup.  Sort of an
ACLUG Coop ISP.

I'm sure there are others in the group who would like cheap (at-cost) web
hosting, shell access, mailing list management, etc, etc.  Perhaps if we
drummed up enough interest, we could get something going, and then offer a
sort of co-location service to customers who help pay for the cost of
operation?

--
The Kansas BoE approved new science standards which de-emphasize the
teaching