Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:27:18 -0600

Carl -

Do live where you can not get a 'Business' ASDL line in Wichita?

Because the 'Business' ASDL gives you a static IP address and at one time
only cost $75 a month (after install) and not only do you get the static IP
address but you also get (depending on phone line) twice the speeds of the
consumer ASDL connection.

I know that I have the basic consumer ASDL of 312K upload and 1.5mb download
and while I do not pay for a static IP address, I have had the same IP
address since I first was setup in October.

Now while the installer will only support Windows install, once you are
installed with your knowledge I am sure you can change the system over to
your Linux box.

I have only run into one bit of trouble since the install, an other
installer was working on somebody else's phone line 'cracked' the copper
cable at a junction box causing data cross over to my voice line. While DSL
service was able to track down the troubles, they were not allowed to fix
the trouble and had to wait for a 'Line Tech' to repair the line.

--David