Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:58:17 -0600

> While an interesting idea, I'm not sure of the practicality of it.  Web
> hosting & shell access is easy, as well as virtual mail domains.  However,
> I'm not sure how well mailing lists would work with virtual domains, if it
> is even possible.  Dial-in access gets costly in a hurry. I'd be inclined to

Well, I'm pretty sure virtual mailing list hosting is *possible*, with
enough determiniation, although I've never done it.  (and hopefully will
never have to =)

> offer only a single dial-in number for remote administative access.

Yes, that's true.  A single dial-in line is probably adaquate.

> Co-location wouldn't be bad if we had a block of addresses.  Otherwise,
> we're limited to what can be accomplished with virtual hosts. Another idea
> we might look into is providing dynamic dns services for members, including
> MX backup.  But we have to be careful here, because it's ACLUG that gets
> into trouble if someone does something foolish.

Getting a block of IPs is trivial.  With SouthWind, they'll give you "as
many IPs as you can justify", with an ISDN (or faster) dedicated account.
Their dialup modem accounts are limited to 1 IP.  I have 64 IPs currently
with a 64k ISDN connection, and have been told that when we can justify
more, we can (probably) get more.  Although I don't forsee needing more IPs
before I need more bandwidth anyway... :-)

--
Useless fact #6: "Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only
the left hand.