Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Demand dial problem

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Demand dial problem
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:06:08 -0600

Greetings,

I have a RedHat 6.0 system that I use as a file server and internet
connection for my small lan.  I use pppd with the demand feature for
demand dialing of the modem and internet.  I has worked great for about
two or three months.  Then, all of a sudden in the last two weeks, the
link is brought up without explanation and, apparently without request.
I can't find where the error is coming from.  I have looked in the
/var/log/messages file, but the information contained there doesn't tell
me why the modem is dialing, just that the commands that are being
processed.   The link stays up for about 7.6 or 7.7 minutes, then will
terminate due to inactivity.  A couple minutes later, the whole thing
dials again.  This happened for the first couple of days last week, then
mysteriously stopped again until this weekend, when the whole repetitive
process started over again.

I don't know if my problem arises from an incorrect address from
sendmail, or where the source of the problem is.  How can I track down
the source of this error?  If I could determine the source of the
problem, I'm sure I could correct it.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl