Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: High-speed server access
From: Todd_Lundstedt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:30:54 -0600

As far as dedicated IP address goes, you might look for an alternative means, if
you wish the speed of cable or ADSL.  You can register your machine with a
service that does DNS hosting for dynamic addresses.  There are several out
there.. some free.
All of that may be moot, since MMC does not allow web allow web hosting from
your "home" PC or network, and randomly does sweeps of their active IP address
scanning for port 80.  I don't know if they scan for the FTP or Mail ports as
well, but NukeNabber will report someone from RoadRunner hitting my box on port
80.  When I noticed it, I also noticed several other RR users reporting similar
incidents to the RR newsgroups.
I don't know SWB's policies on web hosting from your home PC..
Good Luck..

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          raven@phoenyx|
|        |          .net         |
|        |                       |
|        |          12/27/99     |
|        |          08:44 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          aclug-L      |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                         |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Todd Lundstedt/VCHS)                                   |
  |       Subject:     [aclug-L] High-speed server access                      |
well) that I currently have hooked up via dedicated modem... over $200 a
month after the cost of a phone line.  The availability of cable modem and
ADSL makes me feel really, really slow, but neither of these services will
support/allow dedicated IP and/or 24/7 public servers.

Does anybody know of a faster solution in Wichita for dedicated service
that costs less than what I'm paying now?  ISDN is about twice that in
speed, but also twice that in price.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
We tend to judge others by their actions, ourselves by our intentions.