Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Help with Windows paritition.

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Help with Windows paritition.
From: gLaNDix <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:47:00 +0100 (CET)

first, run cfdisk (or fdisk or one of the fdisk-type progs) and make sure
the windoze partition is marked bootable...  second, make sure your
/etc/lilo.conf has an entry for the windoze drive (and make sure the info
is correct)...  then, run /sbin/lilo to add the /etc/lilo.conf info into
the MBR...  hopefully this will work...  if not, you can re-install
windoze just like normal (as long as it's the c:\ drive (hda1), AFTER
MAKING A LINUX BOOTDISK!!!  then, once you have windoze installed, boot to
linux from the linux boot floppy you created and re-run lilo to put the
linux stuff in the MBR...

good luck...  if you have any questions, feel free to ask me, as i've had
a ton of experience messing w/ windoze and linux dual boots and
re-installing windoze while keeping linux intact...

jesse

p.s. oh, and make sure you remove your linux drive temporarily while
re-installing linux... damn windoze tried to format my linux drive last
time and told my computer my main linux partition was a Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
partition, which made windoze able to see my linux partition as an
unformatted windoze partition...  however, you CAN change that info back
to a linux partition, but i'd reccomend taking your linux drive out just
to be on the safe side!  windoze can do some dumb / bad things to your
computer if you're not careful!  : ^ )

"If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
     - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page

http://www.boycott-ms.org/