Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?

Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:37:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Nathan & Jenny wrote:

> Which type of files are the ones that are zipped and need to be
> unzipped? What do I use to unzip them?

Anything that "naturally" ends in .zip, .gz, .Z, etc.
.zip => unzip
.gz => gunzip
.Z => uncompress

I say "naturally" because anyone could rename any file to end in .zip
or .gz, etc.  Only when someone _compressed_ a normal file (and so
ended up with a compressed extension) can you uncompress it the same
way.

(ie: I could do:
gzip file.tar           # this creates file.tar.gz
mv file.tar.gz file.tar.Z
uncompress file.tar.Z           # barfs

> What are .tar files?  Are they the uncompiled source code for the
> application?

Tape ARchives ... you can think of it as a zip file with zero
compression -- it just collections files/directories together into one
convienent file.  They are _typically_ source files for packages, yes,
but they don't have to be -- you can tar up anything.

try:

tar cvf text_files.tar *.txt
tar tf text_files.tar
tar xvf text_files.tar

> What do I need to know about "make" in order to compile the
> program in question?

If the maintainer of the package was nice, "nothing".
'make' looks for a file called "Makefile" (or "makefile") that has
commands in it to compile (and usually install) the package.  If all
goes well, you type "make" (or different commands as instructed by the
README/INSTALL file) and off you go.

> After I've compiled it, what are some of the other obvious things
> that need to be understood or done.

Very often, the Makefile (through running 'make') simply compiles
the program -- it then leaves it in whatever subdirectory. The INSTALL
file may tell you to do "make install" or similar, or you may have to
move it yourself.

> I gather that the equivalent of a Dos .exe file is one with a * in
> front of it.  Is that correct?)

Er... if you mean "/bin/ls -F", that'll show a * at the end of the
file if it's executable, so .... yes :)

> What's a good program to use for uploading stuff to my ftp webserver?

I use "ftp" O:)

> there one that's designed for X, giving me a nice graphical display of
> what's on my ftp site and what I want to copy over?

I've heard people say nice things about ncftp; I don't know if it's
graphical or not.  I'm sure _someone_ has made one - check around.

-jeff
--
Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none.