Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:38:02 -0500

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 09:35:36AM -0500, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:

> normally if your compiling a program that isn't a package for (which is
> only a few)
>
> you do :
> tar -xzvf <app.tgz>
> cd <app>
> ./configure
> make
> make test
> su
>       make install
>       exit

It might be wise to note that you'll want to collect all of your source
projects in a common directory.  For example, I uncompress (or untar/ungzip)
all of the archives I want to play with in ~/src.  So I preface Clint's
steps above with either cp or mv the archive from where it is stored to
~/src and then follow the steps above.

I have found the Midnight Commander program to work very well with archives.
By moving the highlight bar onto the file name and press <Enter> and mc
will uncompress the archive and then open it in such a way so that you can
navigate through the archive's directory structure and look at any of the
files in the archive.  I also use it to extract archives as I can open
the archive in one pane and have the ~/src directory in the other and
then press F5 to copy the archive's contents to ~/src (one has to have
the selector bar highlighting the archive's root directory for this to
work).

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom