Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?

Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:29:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Nathan & Jenny wrote:

> Another newbie question....
>
> During the last meeting where we compiled a kernel, I feel like we kind of
> glossed over some of the basics I need to learn next.

Jeff Schaler will be presenting more of the basic next meeting, I tried to
explain what everything is as I did it, and if your not sure feel free to
ask questions, especially if they are relevant :)

> I'm at the point
> where I want to start installing a few applications (like WordPerfect or
> Doom or whatever)  Here's what I still don't understand well enough:

Also depending on the application, you just use your system package
managment system (dselect debian, gnomerpm RedHat). A lot of apps come
with your distribution, and even more are packed in rpm format.

> After I've compiled it, what are some of the other obvious things that need
> to be understood or done....the kinds of things that an expert might assume
> when explaining it to a beginner?  (So far I gather that the equivalent of
> a Dos .exe file is one with a * in front of it.  Is that correct?)

I'm assuming you mean at the end of it, and the answer is not exactly, it
means it is executable, so binary executables, shell scripts (like batch
files), and directories (well maybe not with the * but the are considered
executable, if you can cd into them)

You could make anything executable with the chmod command, but if its text
it will think its a bunch of commands.

--
Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC

  -- Chris DiBona on neo-renassaince Homo Heileinias Eric S. Raymond. (Open
Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)