Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?

Subject: [aclug-L] Re: How do I install applications?
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:35:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Jeff wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Nathan & Jenny wrote:
>
> > Which type of files are the ones that are zipped and need to be
> > unzipped? What do I use to unzip them?
>
> Anything that "naturally" ends in .zip, .gz, .Z, etc.
> .zip => unzip
> .gz => gunzip
> .Z => uncompress
        or gzip will work too

.tgz or .tar.gz or tar.Z => tar xzvf <filename>

which will uncompress and untar it.

> > What do I need to know about "make" in order to compile the
> > program in question?
>
> If the maintainer of the package was nice, "nothing".
> 'make' looks for a file called "Makefile" (or "makefile") that has
> commands in it to compile (and usually install) the package.  If all
> goes well, you type "make" (or different commands as instructed by the
> README/INSTALL file) and off you go.

normally if your compiling a program that isn't a package for (which is
only a few)

you do :
tar -xzvf <app.tgz>
cd <app>
./configure
make
make test
su
        make install
        exit

but read the README and INSTALL files before to make sure

though you don't need to do either of these for workperfect or doom,
think they have there own script to set up things, look for a README type
file and follow its directions

--
Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC

  -- Chris DiBona on neo-renassaince Homo Heileinias Eric S. Raymond. (Open
Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)