Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: non-root user accounts

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: non-root user accounts
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:30:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Nate wrote:

> What kinds of rights should I give this account?

Normal ones.  (adduser script, as mentioned).

> What kinds of rights should I not give this account?

Super-user ones.  You're trying to get away from that, remember? :)

> If I create an account for my less computer literate wife, what
> kinds of rights should I not give her?

Normal ones.
Normal users have a much smaller chance of doing Something Bad to the
system than root does.  To give yourself increased priviledges,
install sudo or make yourself a member of some groups, as mentioned.
There's also the 'login user; su root; run_priviledged_program; exit'
routine.  I don't log directly in to root for months at a time.

-jeff
--
"Some stupid bugs have been replaced by newer ones."
 -Heiko Eibfeldt in 'The Linux SCSI programming HOWTO'