Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Ironic question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Ironic question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Sep 1999 09:21:07 -0500

Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I need to buy my own.  I prefer laser, as it is for business use, but
> don't know if I can afford a laser printer now, so I may opt for a nice
> bubblejet printer.

Go with a laser.  Most any HP laser will be supported by Linux and are
good-quality.  The "L"-series are cheap but not terribly fast and
don't hold a lot of paper.  Get one with PostScript if you can, the
"MP" series are smallish but have PostScript and are a good buy.

> I'd like something that's fairly fast, and produces a nice sharp image.
> Something that uses non-smearing ink would be a big plus as well, but I
> realize that may not be possible without getting a laser printer.

Even the "L"-series LaserJets will be faster than most ink jets.
Incidentally, the term is "ink jet", not "bubblejet"; the latter is a
trademark of Cannon, I believe.

-- John "finally on an airplane" Goerzen