Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Feist ISP...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Feist ISP...
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:23:59 -0500 (CDT)

> Jonathan -
>
> Well lets just say that I am the exception to the rules... as I live less
> than 1.5 miles as the cable runs (.75 miles by car) of the 47th St &
> Broadway, Jackson Exchange (52X) office and my line (other than when the
> city water crew cut the trunk cable three weeks ago.) is about as direct as
> it can get and there is only one junction box between my home and the
> office.
>
> On a great day....
> I have had an 'average' through put of as high as 25Kb/s
> I have had 'BURST' speeds as great as 80K.... Don't ask me how!!!
> These are as reported by a Win'95/98 utilities "Norton System Works' and
> 'DUN Monitor'
>
> When I reported these speeds in the past I was able to get screen dumps of
> these onscreen reports and the replies were in short WOW!
>
> But for the last three (going on four) weeks things have really been bad for
> me.. and if they are bad for me I can only be sorry for others that did not
> get these good of speeds to start with.
>
> When I can stay online my 'average' on a good day has been down to 1Kb/s and
> connect speeds as slow as 19K.
>
> And "SWB" has triple checked my line to the point they hand off the 'TRUNK'
> cable to "FEIST" and have even gone as far as connecting a computer up at
> this point and have had wild connect speeds.
>
> I have gotten feed back from "FEIST/SouthWind" that they think that it was
> due to a bad modem which they replace... but things are still wild... As of
> this AM (09/13/99).. I had the fast busy signal and the first time I got
> connected it was at 24K so I hung up the line and dialed back and connected
> at 53K...

If you are getting fast busy signals, Feist definiately needs to know.
A fast busy signal indicates a non-standard condition (i.e. not full
lines), and that problem was believed to have been fixed last week.  It
would no doubt be helpful if you could call or send e-mail to Feist
(support@xxxxxx) and let them know exactly when the fast busy signals
occured, and the telephone number you are calling *from* (the one the
computer is on).

And just out of curiosity, what kind of modem are you using that gives you
53k connection speeds?

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-