Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:44:20 -0500

i'm kinda a mid-level member as far as my linux skills.
it was never my intention to be more than a user(oops).
although there was a time you guy's were always
disscussing things that were over my head (still are)
and i admittedly was not interested at the time.
but as anyone on this list will attest, it grows on you.

the only thing that i could suggest are more show and tell type pressentations.
they give interested people who are not yet using linux the security of knowing
that
word perfect for linux works just as good windows.  the same goes for star
office and
gimp.
these things are important to people who are afraid to walk away from the world
of
windows.

also a cookbook format would be nice sometimes.
yes we need to understand why things work,
but, it also helps if we can see things first hand step by step.
for example, no one thinks twice about suggesting a install day.
how about a network day?
have all the interested people bring they're machines in to wsu.
then set up and configure the "aclug" network for the day.
each person would be responsable for his machine,
but would have help of the spot if needed.
some could go on to samba or ip masquerade when ready.

if you could continue with the 7PM newbie intro.
then at 7:30 change gears into more challenging topics.

exit soap box.

> My general feeling is that we often talk over the heads of about half of
> the audience at the meetings, and we're not technical enough for the other
> half.  It's hard to strike the right balance, and not knowing the
> technical level of the audience makes it tougher.  But I've yet to find
> the perfect solution, short of labeling some meetings as "advanced"
> beforehand.

a while back some suggested having a lug survey online.
it went well.
why not make that a regular event.