Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:02:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, jg wrote:

> First, I think everyone should read the "Linux users group HOWTO". The
> users group should stick to the goals listed in this HOWTO. Secondly, I'm
> against the Bill Clinton model of leadership (i.e. take a pole). This is
> very time consuming, ineffective, and gets nowhere fast. If Clint is our
> leader, then he should be allowed to make the choices. Success should be
> measured by how many people continue to show up week after week.

Are we assuming Bill Clinton invented the public opinion pole?

Of course Al Gore invinted the Internet... so anything's possible.

I don't think a "pole" is what we need.  I think some feedback is vital,
though.  If we don't find out from *everyone* what they want or expect
from the group, we'll have one shot in a million of meeting those needs
and expectations.

If that feedback can best be gathered by sending a questionare to the
list, I'll support it 100%.  If that feedback can best be gathered by
having an "organizational meeting" with all ACLUG members, I'll support it
100%.  If that feedback can best be gathered with a closed ballot system,
I'll support it 100%.  If that feedback can best be gathered by taking a
trip to the Bahamas, I'll support it 175%.   :-)

>  It should be clear we need to address the needs of beginners as well as
> advanced users. It should also be evident that the right thing to do is to
> expand. I think having a group discussion on the IRC was a good idea.

I don't think expansion should be our goal.  Our goal should be to provide
the best, most helpful content for the Linux community in Wichita and
surrounding areas.  Expansion will happen naturally when we meet that
goal.

If our focus is expansion, and growing the group, then we will suffer a
horrible death.  It's like bulding a sky scraper by adding more floors,
but never finishing the basement.  It will eventually collapse.

> However, who cares whether or not ALL members can logon a particular night
> or not. We just need to have the transcripts available for people who
> missed it up on the web. We should also have many IRC meetings, even if
> only two people show up. Again make transcripts available (with the
> "script" command).

Have you ever read an IRC transcript?  They're not very interesting.  Nor
are they generally very helpful.  Probably a better idea would be to send
a message to aclug-committee just describing what was discussed and talked
about.

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-