Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:44:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Jeff wrote:

> I might suggest a survey. One to the mailing list(s) and one at the
> meeting(s).  Have it ask things like: current level of experience with
> linux; want to give presentations?; want to help with installs?; etc.

Good idea! I'll prepare one to send out in the next few days.

> Distinguish between people who use just the mailing list versus people
> who can show up for meetings.  Then you can structure the meetings
> around the experience and desires of the people who show up to them.

My general feeling is that we often talk over the heads of about half of
the audience at the meetings, and we're not technical enough for the other
half.  It's hard to strike the right balance, and not knowing the
technical level of the audience makes it tougher.  But I've yet to find
the perfect solution, short of labeling some meetings as "advanced"
beforehand.

> For example: I wouldn't mind a "presentation" on the diskless
> workstations, but it could be in the format of a HOWTO posted to the
> mailing list.

Another option is to better utilize the web site.  Now that John has
xDSL, we should be able to do more on the site.  Multi-page digests of the
how-to's with annotations would be ideal.  Digests of previous
meeting materials could be placed online. Discussions of the material
would continue to end up on this list - or not, if John decides on doing
web based discussion lists tied to each article. We could do something not
unlike the Linux Journal does. There's lots of options.

> The meetings are good for demonstrations, installs, and general
> discussion. The mailing list is good for specific information.

And as I said above, the web site could be better utilized for presenting
material that is too technical for a general audiance, leaving the mailing
list for specific questions related to the presentations.

- Dale -

   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a