Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PGP--Meeting Topic
From: jg <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:47:26 -0500 (CDT)

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:
>
> > I think we may have to change our meeting structure, especially as
> > we get new members/users of linux.

First, I think everyone should read the "Linux users group HOWTO". The
users group should stick to the goals listed in this HOWTO. Secondly, I'm
against the Bill Clinton model of leadership (i.e. take a pole). This is
very time consuming, ineffective, and gets nowhere fast. If Clint is our
leader, then he should be allowed to make the choices. Success should be
measured by how many people continue to show up week after week.

 It should be clear we need to address the needs of beginners as well as
advanced users. It should also be evident that the right thing to do is to
expand. I think having a group discussion on the IRC was a good idea.
However, who cares whether or not ALL members can logon a particular night
or not. We just need to have the transcripts available for people who
missed it up on the web. We should also have many IRC meetings, even if
only two people show up. Again make transcripts available (with the
"script" command).

If you read the users group HOWTO, it lists just a hand full of goals. If
we stick to them, we can be very successful as a group and help make Linux
a household word in Wichita.

James Galimi