Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!
From: "David Carmichael" <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 07:42:36 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael Holmes
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 9:54 PM
To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!

        This morning when I got up, I started the Star Office down loading
        you must turn off the screen saver..it stalls the down load when it
        powers down the monitor!!  It unplugs the socket from netscape).
        So at 11 am I restarted the down load, this time with out the screen
        saver.  When I got back from flying about 3:30 it still had 40 percent
        left to download.  At 5pm, it was in my computer.  you cannot access
        some of the files as your day to day user, you must sign in as root.

I warned you about the aborted downloads!!

        When Star Office starts, you cannot use the /net switch, for a freebie
        single user.  So Star Office installs itself in /root/Office51/bin.
        TOTALLY OUT OF REACH FROM THE REST OF THE COMPUTER!  You must log in
        as root to use it, I am using it from my user account, with the internet
        abilities turned off.  I use the terminal and su.

I found if you install it as the 'SINGLE USER' and not from 'ROOT' it gets
installed in your USER home directory and you can use the program from ROOT.

--David