Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:05:08 -0500

Mike wrote:

> you cannot access some of the
>files as your day to day user, you must sign in as root.  When Star
>Office starts, you cannot use the /net switch, for a freebie single
>user.  So Star Office installs itself in /root/Office51/bin.  TOTALLY
>OUT OF REACH FROM THE REST OF THE COMPUTER!  You must log in as root to
>use it, I am using it from my user account, with the internet abilities
>turned off.  I use the terminal and su.

Um... this isn't true. Even with a single license key, you can install it
for multiple users. I just set this up on my friends system. There are two
user accounts, his and his wife's. I installed StarOffice using the /net
option as root and put it in /usr/local/Office51. Then I logged into each of
the user accounts and installed the "client" piece (less then 5MB) using the
command /usr/local/Office51/bin/setup. I just entered the same key for all 3
of the installations and it worked fine.

I was fairly impressed with the functionality, but I agree with Jonathan
that it's resource intensive. This system is a P75 and it originally had
16MB of RAM. StarOffice on that was unusable. You could start it and go make
a pot of coffee before it came up. Then it wouldn't even keep up with your
typing. I added another 32MB and it runs pretty good. It's a bit slow to
start, but once it's up it's fine.

>I highly recommend this.  But be forewarned.  Typical install is 166
>meg.  and compact is still 105 meg!!  But it is bad to the bone!

Oh yeah, and it takes even MORE during the installation process! Ouch, major
resource hog.

WP8 seems pretty good, but doesn't have the spreadsheet & other
functionality. The one I'm waiting for is koffice. I've enjoyed most of the
KDE applications I've seen so far, very impressive. Discovered last night
that KFM's also a decent web browser. I also found that setting up an
Internet connection using kppp is the easiest connection I've ever
configured. Literally took about 5 minutes to have it up and surfing (from
root, took a little more for the user accounts, but that's a different
story...). That's faster then I've ever been able to set up Windows.

Greg