Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
[aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:54:12 -0500

This morning when I got up, I started the Star Office down loading (you
must turn off the screen saver..it stalls the down load when it powers
down the monitor!!  It unplugs the socket from netscape).  So at 11 am I
restarted the down load, this time with out the screen saver.  When I
got back from flying about 3:30 it still had 40 percent  left to
download.  At 5pm, it was in my computer.  you cannot access some of the
files as your day to day user, you must sign in as root.  When Star
Office starts, you cannot use the /net switch, for a freebie single
user.  So Star Office installs itself in /root/Office51/bin.  TOTALLY
OUT OF REACH FROM THE REST OF THE COMPUTER!  You must log in as root to
use it, I am using it from my user account, with the internet abilities
turned off.  I use the terminal and su.

EVEN with its shortcomings, it is BAD TO THE BONE!!!  It was well worth
the 12 hours invested in downloading and installing.  I think I may end
up buying the $39.00 CD-ROM, just so I can install it in the bottom
directory, and run it off of my user accounts.  It is semi crippled with
all the internet functions turned off.

I co-boot, and it is able to access every single m$ office 97 file I
have!  (that is after /mnt/msdos is set up--Again as root.)[I wish I
could set up scripts in root, which I could access in the user account
to mount the dos and the floppy and the cdrom, with out having to log in
as su.  It becomes a pain in the butt when you are in a hurry!]

I highly recommend this.  But be forewarned.  Typical install is 166
meg.  and compact is still 105 meg!!  But it is bad to the bone!

Later
mike