Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Star Office is.......BAD!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:35:25 -0500 (CDT)

I never had that problem when I used it.  It worked fine for me installed
as a standard user.

To do a multi-user install, as I recall, you do need to purchase it--which
I will never ever do.

StarOffice is a memory hog.  It's slow, and it really doesn't do anything
for me that the (IMO) much superior WordPerfect does.

And WordPerfect is a smaller download, a faster program, and less of a
resource hog.

Of course WP for Linux doesn't do spreadsheets and all the other fancy
things that StarOffice does--but I don't need those things anyway.

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> This morning when I got up, I started the Star Office down loading (you
> must turn off the screen saver..it stalls the down load when it powers
> down the monitor!!  It unplugs the socket from netscape).  So at 11 am I
> restarted the down load, this time with out the screen saver.  When I
> got back from flying about 3:30 it still had 40 percent  left to
> download.  At 5pm, it was in my computer.  you cannot access some of the
> files as your day to day user, you must sign in as root.  When Star
> Office starts, you cannot use the /net switch, for a freebie single
> user.  So Star Office installs itself in /root/Office51/bin.  TOTALLY
> OUT OF REACH FROM THE REST OF THE COMPUTER!  You must log in as root to
> use it, I am using it from my user account, with the internet abilities
> turned off.  I use the terminal and su.
>
> EVEN with its shortcomings, it is BAD TO THE BONE!!!  It was well worth
> the 12 hours invested in downloading and installing.  I think I may end
> up buying the $39.00 CD-ROM, just so I can install it in the bottom
> directory, and run it off of my user accounts.  It is semi crippled with
> all the internet functions turned off.
>
> I co-boot, and it is able to access every single m$ office 97 file I
> have!  (that is after /mnt/msdos is set up--Again as root.)[I wish I
> could set up scripts in root, which I could access in the user account
> to mount the dos and the floppy and the cdrom, with out having to log in
> as su.  It becomes a pain in the butt when you are in a hurry!]
>
> I highly recommend this.  But be forewarned.  Typical install is 166
> meg.  and compact is still 105 meg!!  But it is bad to the bone!
>
> Later
> mike

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-