Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Two questions...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Two questions...
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:44:55 -0500

Carl D Cravens

>On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Greg House wrote:
>> Generally, the route to a good job there doesn't involve working your way
up
>> from manufacturing anyhow (certainly not the quickest route...)
>
>But any kind of "real" position there generally requires a degree. I know
>a couple board layout designers that don't have college degrees... but
>they've been with the company for over 20 years and had gone through at
>least some kind of training before coming to LSI.  (Technical school, I
>think.)  And they still don't make as much money as people who have been
>there half the time but have degrees.

There are some people in the support & engineering groups that I know don't
have degrees, but they're in the vast minority.  The real problem getting a
job there without a degree is getting past the "gatekeepers" (HR), since the
official policy says all engineering positions require a degree.  You CAN
get an engineering job there without one, but it's a lot more difficult.

Greg