Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Scanner Tips...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Scanner Tips...
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 09:25:29 -0700

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> i guess my question now is, how do i use my scanner in linux? ...  i assume
> they don't come w/ software, but what software do i look at for support for
> it?
>
> also, are those cards single scsi cards, or can you hook up more than 1 scsi
> componant up?  i'm looking at purchasing a scsi cd-r someday, and would
> rather not
> have to buy a new scsi controller...
>
> jesse

SANE has been mentioned in previous posts, and seems to be  good way to
go for scanning software.  As for the card (UDS-IS11/DTC3181LE), it is
scsiII and is able to run any scsiII device.  The problem is in the
connectors.  The 3181LE has its internal connector removed (saved
them $0.30 or whatever), and the external connector is 25 pin (works for
the scanner, but not very common on scsiII devices).

I understand an earlier version of this card (DTC3181E - also used by
UMAX, and also called the UDS-IS11) still had its internal connector,
and this could be used for cdrom, etc.  I guess it depends on
what card they bundled w/ your scanner, and you probably won't know til
you look.

For the scanner in Linux, this card should work.  If you want
to run other scsi stuff, you will probably need to get a new one.
Buslogic and NCR/SymbiosLogic cards have been favorites of Linux folks.
Adaptec has recently begun cooperating w/ Linux people as well.

joh