Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
[aclug-L] Scanner Tips...

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Scanner Tips...
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 23:46:31 +0000

ok, i'm looking at purchasing a scanner soon (getting one for my
b-day!), and i would like some advice as to what scanner / specs i
should look for...  i am not even considering a parallel port scanner,
but i'm debating b/n a SCSI scanner and USB scanner...  how well does
linux support USB, if it does at all?  i remember reading in Linux
Journal that k2.2.x is supposed to support USB, but i don't remember
seeing anything about it in make xconfig...  i am looking for a scanner
that is around $150 or so (my 'rents don't want to go much over that),
but if i get a SCSI scanner, i assume i'll have to buy a SCSI controller
card, unless the scanner comes w/ one, so that has to be figured into
the price, too...

also, what is a very well supported SCSI card for linux?  from what i
understand SCSI is very well supported, but i'd like the best / easiest
card to install for linux...

jesse

--
"If we don't stand up to Micro$oft, who will?"
     - The Boycott Micro$oft Web Page

http://www.boycott-ms.org/