Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Scanner Tips...

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Scanner Tips...
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:12:26 -0600

Jeff Hansen wrote:

>As far as I've been able to see the SCSI scanners come with an interface
>card.  That's been true with HP, Mustek, Microtek, and Mine

Yeah, it's just a brain-damaged SCSI card.  Don't use it, use a real SCSI
card.  Linux won't support the junky card that comes with the scanner, and a
real card will let you put disk drives, CDROMs, CD-R writers, tape drives,
and all kinds of other good stuff on there too.

>(for some
>reason, I can't remember what brand mine is, but it's an Astra 1220S).

UMAX.

>As
>for SCSI cards, I use adaptec, but the last SCSI holy war on here seemed to
>decide that NCR was the best.

Being an employee of LSI Logic (formerly Symbios Logic, formerly AT&T GIS,
formerly NCR...), I'd ike to believe our SCSI cards are the best.  I've used
three different ones with Linux and they all worked flawlessly.  I don't
doubt that Adaptec would do just as well.  I've heard BusLogic cards are
well supported, but haven't used one.

Far as supported scanners goes, the hardware compatibility HOWTO has some
information on it, but the real poop is that there's a utility called SANE
which provides all the scanner stuff (see http://www.mostang.com/sane/).  .
Check it's compatibility list at
http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

Greg